Pages

Friday 3 May 2013

Shop Warwick Month - A Synopsis

Throughout the whole of April, I committed to only shopping at independent traders in Warwick.

It was inspired by some twitterings on twitface by the Warwick Twassive.

The idea was to test if you could get everything you needed for a whole month from local shops for local people.

I soon had to bend the rules. I live in Warwick, but work in Leamington. Therefore I decided to allow myself to 'shop locally' provided it was from an independent store.

A few others from the #WarwickTwassive (that's Twitter-Massive BTW!) also embarked upon #ShopTwitterMonth. They too each had their own spin on what it meant to them. Some shopped at chain stores too, provided they were within Warwick, for others it was watching the pennies, and for some it was more of a photographic record.

Shop Warwick Month - Local Independent Shopping

I was able to buy pretty much everything I needed locally and from independents. Mostly due to, as it turns out, I don't actually tend to buy much! The better half gets in most of the food, including a delivered Veg box.

I found the weekly market in Market Square on Saturdays was a great opportunity to 'stock-up' for the rest of the week.

Warwick Market

You can get pretty much everything you need there, including loads of fruit and veg, and some very very nice coffee.

Also, when heading to the pub, I've got a few fantastic locals to choose from.

Cape of Good Hope
Dave Myers, Hairy Biker


Including the Cape of Good Hope (albeit closed temporarily at the time of writing) where I met Hairy Biker legend Dave Myers. I also tried to keep my drink choices "locally independent", which is easily done with their great selection of local ales. Including Two'llocks from Church End Brewery and Old Tom from Church Farm Brewery (I don't confused those breweries quite so much these days either!

Further down the road is The Wild Boar, which is also a great pub, with great service and great ale, some of which is brewed on the premises!

Wild Boar, Beer Menu

The also have a 'Beer Menu', how great is that?! That goes to show what a great selection they have.

Twitface has also been a great aid to help me keep shopping locally and independently, people are more than happy to help you find where to buy certain items. It's also a great way to hear of local events.

Including a film premier at The Wild Boar, and also last nights (re)opening of The Punchbowl.

Overall #ShopWarwickMonth was a real success, it goes to show you can get what you need locally and independently. Sometimes it'll cost a little more, but you generally get better service. Sometimes it'll take a little longer, but you get a better quality product. Why not give it a go yourself? I'd love to hear from you if you do.

It's also given me a chance to make little poster thingies too.


 

In summary, you could say, that #WarwickRocks


If you get bored, give me a follow and say hello on twitface, @WarwickWitter 







No comments:

Post a Comment